Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Simple Present

Simple Present
[verb]+ s/es

Examples:
  •  Do you speak English?
  • You do not speak English.
Simple Present
  1. Repeated actions  
          Use the Simple Present  to express the idea that an action is repeated or usual.
          The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens.
          It can also be something that a person often forgets or usually does not do.

    Examples:

           She goes to school by bus.
           I play tennis.
           She often plays tennis.

    2.  Facts or Generalization

          The Simple Present can also indicate the speaker believes that a fact was true before,is true now, and
          will be true in the future.
          It is not important if the speaker is correct about the fact.
          It is also used to make generalizations about people or things.

    Examples:

           John work in a circus.
           Birds do not like milk.
          Windows are made of glass.

    3.  Scheduled Event in the Near Future

         Speakers occasionally use Simple Present to talk about scheduled events in the near future.
         This is most commonly done when talking about public transportation,but it can be used with
         other scheduled events as well.

    Examples:

          The train leaves tonight at 6 PM.
          The bus does not arrive at 7 AM, it arrives at 9 AM.

   4.  Now ( Non-Continuous Verb)

        Speakers sometimes use th Simple Present  to express  the idea that an action is happening or is not
        happening now.This can only be done with Non-Continuous Verbs and certain Mixed Verbs.

   Examples:

         I am here now.
         She is not here now
         He needs help right now.
         He does not need help now.

Pls. prepare your pen and a sheet of paper now for a test.
Answers will be post in my next blog.
Are you ready now?

  1. I ___(sing) in a pub.
  2. On Saturdays she ___(go) to the swimming pool.
  3. She often_______(play) tennis..
  4. Cats_____(eat) mice
  5. Mark ____(like) sports.
  6. The party____(start) at 8 o'clock.
  7. (Do)_____pigs____(like) milk?
  8. Tom usually ____(walk) to school.
  9. When___(do) the train usually____(leave)?
  10. (Do)____he ____(play) tennis?
Try also this kind of test....

  1. I swim => he_____
  2. I study => he _____
  3. I dont play => he _______
  4. I go => he ____
  5. I wash => he ______
  6. I dont write => he _______
  7. I open => you ______
  8. I come => he ____
  9. I don't watch => he________
  10. I don't fly => They __________
Thats it!.....
Take your time,see you in my next blog!
      
           
     

No comments:

Post a Comment